Completed Projects

Cayuga Waterfront Trail in Stewart Park
Mayor Stewart Memorial Flagpole Garden
Park Main Entry Planting
Tea Pavilion Reconstruction
Carousel Restoration
Renwick Wildwood Interpretive Panel & Ecological Restoration
Park Building Interpretive Signs
Fuertes Bird Sanctuary Overlook Restoration

PROJECT DESCRIPTIONS

Cayuga Waterfront Trail in Stewart Park

CayugaWaterfrontTrail_StewartPark_Ithaca_2015_wtThe City of Ithaca, in partnership with the Chamber of Commerce’s Cayuga Waterfront Trail Initiative,  completed the Cayuga Waterfront Trail, a 5.5 mile, multi-use trail linking Stewart Park to the Visitor Center, Farmers Market, West End and Cass Park. The Trail has brought new vitality to Stewart Park and a safe, accessible way for park users to enjoy the park. The trail was completed in 2010 at a cost of $450,000.  Future plans to enhance the Waterfront Trail in Stewart Park include extending the trail along the south edge of the park to create a loop linking the main park entry to the Flagpole Garden, the proposed new playground, the Lagoon, and the pedestrian entry of the park at the pedestrian bridges and boardwalk at the park’s southwest corner.

BACK TO TOP

 

Mayor Stewart Memorial Flagpole Garden RestorationRibbon Cutting WEB

The Memorial Flagpole Garden was dedicated in 1927 in honor and recognition of Mayor Edwin Stewart’s efforts to create Ithaca’s first public lakefront park. In 1921, although the garden was renovated in the 1980’s, it ultimately fell into disrepair. In 2012, it was restored to its historic design by Friends of Stewart Park and new plantings were installed a year later. As the lakefront pavilions are renovated, the historic pathways will be recreated to connect the garden to the pavilions.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Landscaping at Entrance

Entry planting - november photo

Visitors to Stewart Park arriving through the main entrance are now greeted by a new planting installation creating year-round interest. The Ithaca Garden Club, Friends of Stewart Park and the City Park & Forestry Division collaborated on this garden. Plants were selected to complement the recently-installed Memorial Flagpole Garden and feature a combination of small shrubs, ornamental grasses, perennials, and spring-flowering bulbs.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Tea Pavilion ReconstructionTea Pav Today WEB

Built circa 1895 to welcome visitors to the park, the Tea Pavilion is an elegantly designed small structure used for picnics and performances throughout the summer months. By 2011 the original structure, which had been moved several times over the past one hundred years, had fallen into disrepair and was slated to be torn down. With encouragement from Friends of Stewart Park, the Tea Pavilion was rebuilt by the City’s Department of Public Works in 2013 with attention to the structure’s original design, and reopened in 2014. Final painting was completed in 2016 and an interpretive sign relaying the pavilion’s history was installed.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Carousel Restoration

IMG_6232

Built in 1894, the Cascadilla Boathouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The City of Ithaca, Cascadilla Boat Club and Friends of Stewart Park are working together to paint the building’s shingle-style exterior to help preserve and protect the structure. The City replaced the building’s roof in 2015. An interpretive panel recounting the building’s history was installed on its exterior in 2013.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Renwick Wildwood Interpretive Panel & Ecological Restoration

Stewart Park Sign principal directors 2

In 1914 one of the Cayuga Bird Club’s (CBC) first accomplishments was to preserve the Renwick Wildwood from a proposed ‘cleanup’ by the City’s Department of Public Works.

This interpretive panel 11011900_401088063417613_9211079147401662645_otells the story of how the CBC, which celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2014, saved the woodland and how the woodland is important for bird life. It illustrates many of the interesting and important birds that reside in or pass through the woods. Many thanks to the Tompkins County Strategic Tourism Planning Board, Cayuga Bird Club, and the Cayuga Waterfront Trail Initiative for supporting this project.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Park Building Interpretive Signs

Panel_wharton_SM

In 2014, Wharton Studio Museum designed, produced and secured funding for exterior interpretive signs which were installed on three of the park’s historic buildings —  the Picnic Pavilion, the Wharton Studio building, and the Cascadilla Boathouse. In 2015, an interpretive sign for the recently restored Tea Pavilion was completed, with plans for its installation in the spring of 2016.  These handsome and informative panels, which combine text and graphics, recount the fascinating history of each of these unique buildings. The signs were designed and produced at a cost of approximately $6000.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP

 

Fuertes Overlook Restoration

Fuertes OL betterThe Cayuga Bird Club funded the construction of the Fuertes Bird Sanctuary (commonly referred to as the Swan Pond) in 1927 and then, in 1934, added the stone overlook that was restored from summer of 2016 to the summer of 2017. Restoration work included applying new mortar for the wall joints and replacing broken capstones, resetting and leveling the bluestone pavement, installing a new step and handrail between levels, new guard railing, and resetting the bluestone walk from the new Waterfront Trail to the Overlook. This work was funded by the Schaeffer Foundation and the Triad Foundation.
See a detailed description in PDF format here.

BACK TO TOP